"Freaky" Is A 'Lil Bit Sneaky...But Not Cheeky With The Kills & Thrills, But Leaves You With Millie's Chills!

Travis' Grade Of: [RED HOT A+]


Would I recommend YOU to pay to see this in the theater? HIGHLY YES! WITHOUT A DOUBT! IF YOU HAD DOUBTS - HAVE THEM NO MORE! THIS IS THE BEST BODY SWAP HORROR/COMEDY FILM OF 2020 THAT IS A DEFINITE "MUST MUST MUST SEE!"


My Critique On "Freaky" is this - It started out on a late Wednesday night on the 11th...then it continued on to Thursday the 12th and then you know what comes next don't you....then came.....




Film Synopsis: After swapping bodies with a deranged serial killer known as The Blissfield Butcher, (played by Vince Vaughn) a young girl (played by Kathryn Newton) in high school discovers she has less than 24 hours before the change becomes permanent!

Classification of Film: Comedy & Horror



.....Friday the 13th! First off, I will admit that I had my suspicions about the film; I really thought that it would be a mediocre film showing only the enticing scenes in the trailer to allure you to see the film & then once you see it it was not of good quality. Boy was I taken for a spin!


From the moment the film came on, I was so drawn and intrigued by it, I had TWO - not one but two immediate thoughts.....my first was that I was thinking of spoof movies and that this film really had the potential to be a true classic horror film minus the comedy that was in it. Truthfully! The little comedy that was in the film was mild and was not over the top as I have seen in other movies that try to combine comedy with another type of genre.


Next, I would like to applause the Director and writing team of the film because the writing and directing was pure genius! I could not write this rating last night because I HAD to gather my thoughts and words because I want to give so much acclaim and accolades to everyone involved in this masterpiece and they deserve it so much! Casting Newton & Vaughn as the leads was just -"meant to be." They had on screen magic together even though they were and they weren't because they switched bodies.


The character of Millie was a high school girl was always bullied, teased, picked on, and let's admit, this is an epidemic that so many teens in the world have to face and they really shouldn't and if they have supportive family and friends as Millie did, they can overcome it and not let it define them while others may not have that inner-strength and give up and succumb to what the bullies are telling them about themselves. I hate bullies! 


Cannot stand them. They should not exist. I felt sorry for Millie, personally. When I can identity with a character in a movie and feel for a character, that person IS an ACTOR or an ACTRESS in my eyes if they can make me feel an emotion for them - they have won me over and Kathryn Newton did that for me! NO DOUBT ABOUT THAT!


I want to touch on bullies just a little bit more because that is the message that this movie and Millie's friends' were trying to get her to see - that she IS strong; she IS NOT weak; she is a PIECE; she GOT this. They constantly placed positivity, light, and love in her path. Not everyone has that and the ones who are fortunate enough to have that should count themselves lucky and blessed!


I could also see that with Millie being in the Butcher's body she could feel powerful and strong and whereas the Butcher being in her body could feel weak and small and powerless. The lesson to be attained was that with Millie already being a good person, she could ascertain that strength comes from within and she picked that up from being inside the Blissfield Butcher's body whereas the Butcher only knew violence and he never wanted to be good - all he knew was bad and he never was going to be good. See the point? 


But I have to give credit where the credit is due, even though bodies were not physically swapped in the film, Kathryn Newton's facial expressions and appearance was "off the chain" once she swapped as was the Blissfield Butcher and no one knew it. Once the film first came on and Millie was introduced, you would never even dream that Millie would dress like the Blissfield Butcher in her body!


Vince Vaughn plays in a ton of comedy films and I have never seen him in a role like this before ever. It was different for me seeing him kill, murder, and slaughter people knowing he mostly does comedy films. Like 100% all comedies. That being said, the killings in this movie were gory and brutal so do not think that they are shot off camera, because they are not so brace yourselves! 


Lastly, there is a shocking twist at the end of the movie and there is a scene with Millie and her crush Booker that you will "laugh ur butt" off at. Have fun you Freaks!!!!


THIS MOVIE IS TOTALLY DROP DEAD BLOODY THIRSTY WORTH RED HOT SUPER DUPER "KILLA" HUNGRY WORTH ENJOYABLE TOTALLY WORTH SEEING! MY PUN IS INTENDED...HUN! 

2 Comments

What did YOU think about the film - do you agree with me? Tell me.....

  1. Awesome!! Nice to know there's an underlying message as well!!! Esp bullying!!! Can't wait to see this!! Thanks for your reviews!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes in deed Amy, there INDEED was and IS a message in this movie and is in EVERY film, I believe no matter what the genre is. Just my own opinion. You are always welcome and thank you for the sincere appreciation for my reviews! I love it and you for reading them and loving them and passing them along!

      Delete

Post a Comment

What did YOU think about the film - do you agree with me? Tell me.....

Previous Post Next Post